The Mortgage Loan Officer is responsible for soliciting, negotiating, underwriting and coordinating the closing of routine secondary market residential loans in compliance with Lending Agencies and the Bank’s lending policies and procedures. The position uses professional, judgment to originate mortgage loans, as well as to promote business for the Bank by maintaining good customer relations and referring customers to appropriate staff for new services. The position requires working with Bank and customer confidential information on a daily basis. The position also assists in attaining established Bank, region, and branch goals through active participation in sales management and officer call programs. The position requires regularly driving a motorized vehicle to various Bank locations and other job related functions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the following Essential Duties satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the Essential Duties of the position:
1. While working with confidential Bank and customer information, engages in business development activities and solicitation of new business. To that end, actively participate in instilling and maintaining a positive sales environment through education of the Bank’s products and services.
2. While working with confidential Bank and customer information, interviews prospective applicants and requests specified information related to loan or credit applications. To that end, correspond with or re-interview applicants to resolve questions regarding application information.
3. While working with confidential Bank and customer information, performs prequalification assessment and analysis of financial condition and risk of financing requests within the framework of Bank credit culture and current economic and industry trends.
4. While working with confidential Bank and customer information, coordinate processing of approved loans. To that end, ensures that loans are processed according to relevant agreements and customer needs, and that loans conform to Lending Agency, Investor, and Bank lending policies; obtain sufficient information and/or documentation from customers; solve problems relative to processing, closing, and selling of mortgage loans within his or her pipeline.
5. Complete mortgage applications for submission to the loan processing and underwriting departments.
6. Evaluate loan requests, analyze financial data, and determines qualification of collateral and customer credit history. Assist the customer in choosing a loan program that best fits their needs.
7. Structures loan to comply with acceptable lending practices, Federal regulations, and investor guidelines.
8. Develop detailed marketing/business plan including names of potential and existing loan customers, realtors, builders, developers, etc; and the frequency of contact.
9. Answers customer calls and walk- in customers to discuss various loan products and qualification information.
10. Reinforce the application of superior customer service through his or her personal example along with appropriate follow-through with involved customers and employees.
11. Develop and maintain knowledge of financial industry, economy, market conditions, rates, vendors and competition.
12. Represent the Bank in various community, civic and community reinvestment functions to further enhance the Bank’s image and develop additional business.
13. Cross-sell the Bank’s other products and services, referring customers to appropriate staff as indicated.
14. While working with confidential Bank and customer information, assist in meeting annual loan origination goals assigned by Senior Management
15. Works with Bank and customer confidential information while performing the essential duties enumerated above.
16. Routinely drives a motorized vehicle to various Bank locations and other job related functions.
17. Able to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
This job description and the enumerated Essential Duties are intended to provide general guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by the incumbent’s supervisor as deemed appropriate.
ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
The incumbent will spend most of the time performing this position in a professional office-type setting. The position includes driving a personally owned vehicle, which includes exposure to the outside weather elements and moving mechanical parts, as well as some minor annoyances such as noise, odors, drafts, etc.
The incumbent, in the course of performing this position, spends time writing, keyboarding, speaking, listening, driving, seeing (such as close, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and adjusted focus), sitting, pulling, walking, standing, squatting, kneeling and reaching.
The incumbent for this position may operate any or all of the following: telephone, smart phone, copy and fax machines, adding machine (calculator), scanner and image systems, computer terminal, laptop computer, personal computer, tablet, printers, or other equipment as needed and/or directed.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The incumbent in this position must be able to read and understand documents, instruments, and highly technical reports; perform detailed work; and problem solve. Incumbent must also display proficiency in analytical reasoning, math, language, presentation skills, and verbal and written communication. Incumbent must be able to effectively manage deadlines, multiple concurrent tasks, and constant interruptions. Incumbent must be able to work in a constant state of alertness and concentrate for long periods of time.
This position is designated as a safety sensitive position because it requires the regular handling of highly sensitive and confidential Bank and customer information and operating a motor vehicle on a routine basis. Performing this job in a discreet and professional manner requires alertness at all times. Any lapse of attention could have a significant financial impact on the Bank and its customers, or on others while operating a motor vehicle.
These specifications are general guidelines based on the minimum experience normally considered essential to the satisfactory performance of this position. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the position in a satisfactory manner. Individual abilities may result in some deviation from these guidelines.
• Basic experience, knowledge and training in financial statement and tax return analysis typically resulting from a combination of education in accounting, financial and/or credit analysis or related areas.
• Basic experience, knowledge and training in mortgage lending activities and terminology, as well as basic knowledge of mortgage loan processing and related state and federal lending and compliance regulations, and other Bank lending policies.
• Ability to develop marketing and business development skills with customers.
• Basic knowledge of branch operation procedures, Bank products and services.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, and technical procedures.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Basic skills in computer terminal and personal computer operation, host computer system, word processing, spreadsheet and specialty software programs; intermediate keyboarding skills to meet production needs of the position.
• Intermediate math skills, including but not limited to: ability to calculate interest, commissions, proportions and percentages; balance accounts; add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals; locate routine mathematical errors; compute rate, ratio and percent; and draft and interpret bar graphs.
• Exceptional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to apply common sense to carry out instructions and instruct others; train personnel; write reports, correspondence and procedures; and speak clearly to customers and employees.
• Ability to deal with complex problems involving multiple facets and variables in non-standardized situations.
• Ability to work with little to no supervision while performing duties.
• A current, non-suspended driver’s license and a vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage as governed by Bank policy are required to drive in the course of performing assigned duties and responsibilities, as well as the ability and willingness to travel between Bank and branch locations, during the day, overnight, and in and out of state as required.
Management reserves the right to change this job description at any time according to business needs. This document does not represent a contract of employment and is not meant to alter the at-will status of employee’s employment in any way. Chambers Bancshares, Inc. reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, at any time, with or without notice, as it may deem appropriate.
I acknowledge by my signature below that I have received a copy of my job description. I have read and understand the essential functions and physical and mental demands required for my position. I understand that I am responsible for the satisfactory performance of all functions described therein, under any and all conditions as described and regardless of any reasonable accommodation.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in business, management, finance, accounting or a related field and one to two years of related experience and/or specialized lender training or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Work related experience should consist of a background in financial analyzing or lending.
• Educational experience, through in-house training sessions, formal school or financial industry related curriculum, should be related to business and/or the financial industry.
• Registration with the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry as a mortgage loan originator in accordance with the Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act (the “SAFE Act”) may be required.