The Mortgage Underwriter is responsible for underwriting secondary market conventional and government loans. The individual must be a reliable and responsible professional skilled in mortgage evaluation and able to demonstrate knowledge and experience regarding the principles of mortgage underwriting.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the following Essential Duties satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the Essential Duties of the position, provided they do not create an undue burden to the Bank:
1. Responsible for making decisions, with due diligence and in a prudent manner, regarding the credit analysis and appraisal review to determine the overall investment quality of the loan.
2. Ensure applicable conditions are met per the automated underwriting findings and apply the appropriate investor credit overlays.
3. Provide an underwriting review to processor and Loan Officer for initial submissions/conditions as soon as reasonably possible, generally within two (2) business days of receipt.
4. Remain attuned to the warning signs that may indicate any irregularities, and be alert and able to detect fraud.
5. Stay abreast of investor and agency guidelines to ensure each loan is being evaluated with the most current and accurate information.
6. Assist the processors and/or Loan Officers with underwriting scenarios and questions.
7. Coordinate and/or assist in additional training for processors/Loan Officers as warranted for a new product offering or continuing education.
8. This position requires the employee to be familiar with all consumer compliance regulations that apply to the services s/he provides to customers. It is the responsibility of this position to remain current with applicable regulatory compliance requirements. This may be accomplished by attendance at various compliance training sessions and/or by completing periodic, job function-specific compliance training. It is also the responsibility of this position to report any incidence or perceived incidence of customer harm immediately to management. Customer harm may be caused by failure to comply with regulatory compliance requirements or other issues. It is the responsibility of this position to follow all documented policies and procedures that are designed to prevent customer harm, and to follow the bank’s Complaint Management Policy and Procedures.
9. Meet the full measures of goals outlined by the Team Member blueprint as part of the First plan, which include goals for the Bank, each Branch/Department, and each individual.
10. Able to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
This job description and the enumerated Essential Duties are intended to provide general guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and tasks may be assigned by the employee’s supervisor as deemed appropriate.
ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
The employee is in a non-confined office type setting in which s/he is free to move about at will. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand and walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include; close, distance and color vision. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The employee for this position may operate any or all of the following: telephone, smart phone, copy and fax machines, adding machine (calculator), check protector, scanner and image systems, scanning equipment, encoder, money counter, credit card terminal, typewriter, computer terminal, laptop computer, personal computer, tablet, printers, or other equipment as directed.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, provided they do not create an undue hardship to the Bank.
The employee in this position must be able to accommodate to reading documents or instruments, detailed work, problem solving, customer contact, reasoning, math, language, presentations, verbal and written communication, analytical reasoning, stress, multiple concurrent tasks, and constant interruptions. The employee must be able to work in a constant state of alertness and concentrate for long periods of time.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of Loan Officers and processors.
• Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
• Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
• The position requires the incumbent to hold a current, non-suspended driver’s license and a personal motorized vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage as governed by Bank policy. The incumbent may be required to travel in their personal motorized vehicle between Bank and customer locations, or to training/conferences in the course of performing assigned duties and responsibilities. Such travel may include travel both during the day and overnight and in and out of state as required
The Bank reserves the right to change this job description at any time according to business needs. This document does not represent a contract of employment and is not meant to alter the at-will status of employee’s employment in any way. Chambers Bancshares, Inc. reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, at any time, with or without notice, as it may deem appropriate.
These specifications are general guidelines based on the minimum experience normally considered essential to the satisfactory performance of this position. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the position in a satisfactory manner.
• Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) or the equivalent from a four-year college or university; or three (3) years of related experience and/or training; or the equivalent combination of education and experience.